The fishing tug ALICE C was built in 1926 at Michigan City, Indiana and put into service as the BOB LUDWIG. The vessel’s first owner was Robert Ludwig of Michigan City, Indiana. Her dimensions were: length, 56.2 feet; beam, 15.5 feet; hull depth, 16.8 feet; and gross tonnage, 31 tons. In her early days, she was operated as a fishing tug on Lake Michigan. In 1930 the vessel was sold to John Girven of Sault Ste. Marie, MI and renamed the ALICE C. In 1936, she was sold to Albert McLeod, also of Sault Ste. Marie. Local lore has it that the ALICE C was operated out of DeTour and used sometimes as a fishing tug and sometimes as a ferry boat. During World War II the vessel was supposedly docked for repairs above the Watson Dock complex in DeTour, but somehow those repairs never happened and ultimately she sank due to age and neglect and was abandoned in place. In 1947, the ALICE C was dropped from documentation. In 1992, the engine and boiler were removed and put on permanent display in the yard of the DeTour Museum.
The wreck is broken at the bilge and splayed open. The machinery has been salvaged and is on display at the DeTour Village Museum, just above the Drummond Island Ferry dock. The visibility in the area is poor and the wreck is of little interest to divers, snorklers or kayakers.
The wreck lies in 5 to 10 feet of water a few yards north of the Watson Dock complex at the north end of DeTour Village. Lat/Long Coordinates are:
45º 59.978’ North
83º 53.959’ West
Sault Ste. Marie, MI
Michigan City, IN
Date of Loss:
Cause of Loss:
©Copyright 2009 Mike Spears and the Drummond Island Tourism Association